Office Phone: (435) 797-3002
Thomas Terry owned and edited a small group of newspapers in Illinois. Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. Past president of the Illinois Press Association. Pilot, plays bagpipes.
Media history, free expression and censorship, editorial writing, mass communication effects (emphasis on agenda setting), photojournalism, magazine writing, media law, reporting, editing, news writing,and mass communication and society (introductory and advanced).
Race and the media, First Amendment rights of free expression and access, agenda setting, and media history.
- PhD - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - 2007
- MA - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - 2003
- BA - University of Iowa
- Other - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - 2008
- Keynote Speech for international conference in Turkey. Titled: Towards a Fourth Level of Agenda Setting in a Post-Mass Media World. - June 2014
- Keynote Dinner presentation - November 2013
- Top Paper Award - November 2010
- Scholarly - In Thunder, Lightning, or Rain: Three North Carolina Editorial Voices Against the Ku Klux Klan, 1950-1953
- Non-Scholarly - Photolio: Photographs 1970-1983 - 1983
- Non-Scholarly - The Champions: A Pictorial History of Geneseo's 1976 & 1977 3A State Football Champions - 1977
- Book, Chapter in Scholarly Book - "A Tremendous and Baleful Aspect: Conscription in the Civil War Through the Pages of Federal and Confederate Newspapers in 1863." - Co-authored by: Donald Shaw.
- Book Review - "Censors at Work: How States Shaped Literature" by Robert Darnton - Co-authored by: Donald Shaw.
- Journal Article, Academic Journal - "Communication is Community: How We (Soldiers, too) Mix Traditional and Social Media Messages to Connect with Each Other" - Co-authored by: Donald Shaw, and Milad Minooie.
- Rest Under the Shade of the Trees: Fourth Level Agenda Setting and Framing the Civil War and the Lost Cause through Obituaries of Union and Confederate Generals, 1863-1904 - $500 - 2015-11-30
- Shards and Prisms: Neville Chamberlain and the Agenda Setting Effect of the Press on Appeasement in the Wake of Munich, 1938-1939 - 2012-12-31
- Rebel Yells and Idle Vaporings: The Lost Cause Rises and Dissipates in the Chicago Tribune, Atlanta Constitution, and New York Times, 1860-1914 - 2012-11-08